Thursday 7 July 2011

Pin Up Embroidery: Meet the Girls!

Hi there! It's time for my first update on my Pin Up Embroidery Project! Aren't you excited? :)

As all the beautiful pin up transfers were based on specific Gil Elvgren paintings I decided to track them all down so I would be able to get an idea of colours etc. Plus as a huge fan of Elvgren's work I couldn't think of anything more lovely than a good chunk of time flipping through books of his pictures :) And here they are!

First up we have this lovely lady with her legs in the air - don't be cheeky now! I really like the red and black colours used here, but I may go with a more pastel combination with my versions. You can see from the transfer picture that I've pictured this pin up with black hair, I think it'd suit her :)

Original

Transfer

Secondly we have this brilliant blonde in her silky intimates. I think she'll definitely have a lot of pink in her colour scheme, and I'm keeping her blonde, I feel she has a real Marilyn edge to her.

Original

Transfer

Next we're going a bit show girl with some flouncy petticoats. I don't think I'll be using black for her dress, too dark for my Pretty in Pink skirt, and I'm making her a brunette.

Original

Transfer

And finally we have my favourite of the Pin Ups, the sailor girl! She just look so happy to be a sailor :) I think the colours used here are gorgeous, especially the red anchor on her hat and red heels on her shoes. However I'm also thinking of a little blue sailor dress with white details. And she'll definitely have to be a red head so I can imagine that it's me in the sailor outfit :)

Original

Transfer

So there they are, my gorgeous girls! What is great is that I'm going to be embroidering eight different girls on the skirt, so each of these transfers will be seen twice giving me the opportunity to use different colour comminations, so if I have two ideas (as with the sailor girl) I'll be able to use both. I do think I will keep each girl's hair the same colour throughout so, so it will look like they've just changed their outfits :)

Join me again soon when I'll be showing you the first of these Pin Ups in all her glory. Embroidery is awesome!!

12 comments:

Elise said...

Ooh I love the third one, I'm all about flouncyness right now! :)

Wendy Bayford said...

Love these, the skirt is going to look amazing!

Unknown said...

such a lovely idea, can't wait to see the outcome. Embroidery really is awesome!I havent done any in a while, i find it so relaxing so should probably start a project myself. xx

Barn House Antiques said...

Such a great idea...they will turn out great, I can not wait to see.

Casey said...

I can't wait to see these all stitched up! So cute!!! :)

Katie said...

Faff - I know isn't she cute, I want a flouncy skirt so bad!

Wendy - Thank you :) I'm really enjoying doing them!

Kelly-Marie - I am loving embroidery, I don't know why more people don't do it. The only good thing about not having my sewing machine with me here is that I have real time to spend on embroidery :)

Barn House Antiques - Thank you!

Casey - Thank you so much :)

Tasha said...

Seriously, I can't wait to see how this progresses!

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

This is such an amazing project, it's going to be stunning, I can tell!

Anonymous said...

Your little pin up girls are so cute! They're going to look fantastic on the skirt.

Claudia Paola said...

So sweet and pretty! What a great idea to embroider pin-up girls. I think the second one is my favorite because of her lippy detail and her Marilyn Monroe vibe. I've just finished a cross-stitch project of a tea cup and roses for my aunt and uncle. Embroidery has a (sort of) similar idea (*sort of* LOL), and my mom's been trying to get me to try it out. I really should, as it can come in handy for modifying clothes!

Katie said...

Tasha - Thank you so much!

Lakota - Thank you, I hope it lives up to your expectations :)

mala-14 - Thank you, they're lovely aren't they? I can't wait to get them done and wear them about town :)

Molto Fashion - I love cross stitch! It's been so long since I've had time to do something like that, I dedicate most of my craft time to either knitting or sewing, I should get back on the cross stitch path methinks :) Embroidery is fun because it's more free than cross stitch, you can be a bit more creative with it and change things about more. Plus it looks adorable on clothes :)

BBB said...

Can you please tell me where to get the embroidery patterns for this? I've been looking online for some cute retro pin-up girl embroidery patterns. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...