Friday 15 July 2011

Gertie's Online Bombshell Dress Course - Excitement, Ideas and Inspiration!

I am so uber excited about this online sewing course I can't even tell you! The marvelous Gertie has done it again, and I've got a feeling that this might be her best tutorial ever. I haven't started the course properly yet (obviously as I am still in Austria, sans sewing machine, sob sob) but I have been watching the video tutorials and the detail is fantastic. Everything is so clear and precise and done with such an air of relaxation and fun, I just cannot wait to get started! I mean, just look at the dress you'll end up with...

Source

If you haven't yet heard about this course, firstly where have you been? :) heehee just kidding! Gertie has based this fabulous course on the legendary Bombshell dresses created by the genius that was Alfred Shaheen. Here are some shots of his work, I'd happily give them all a good home! The first picture features the draped tiki-esque skirt that Gertie is focusing on in her tutorial, it's so pretty!

Source

Source

Source

Feeling inspired yet? Well I sure am! Another great thing that Gertie talks about in her introduction to this course is that the possibilities for being creative and unique with your dress are endless. If you're not feeling the tiki look than swap in a circular skirt, or just make the bodice as a bustier top to go with other separates in your wardrobe. Personally all these option reminded me of one of my favourite websites, Whirling Turban, and it's amazing array of bombshell dresses and pinup couture. I have always longed for one of these dresses, but haven't been able to afford one of my very own. But Gertie's online course could be the key to achieving my wildest dreams! :) There are so many features that I could try and add to my bombshell dress...

I could add a peek-a-boo style to the bodice...

Source

Add different straps for a variety of different looks...

Source

Make a petal bust bodice...

Source

So many options, so little time! I could very easily end up with hundreds of variations of the same pattern in my wardrobe! Now that's a happy thought... :)

Also this dress reminded me of one of my favourite seasons from Louis Vuitton, who else loved their Fall 2010 look? All those fitted bodices and full skirts in tweeds and (swoon!) plaids and even leather! You could make one of Gertie's dresses in a thicker fabric for autumn/winter and you'd be rocking the bombshell look all year round! 

Source

Add a full skirt with contrasting bodice and some black velvet straps and belt and you've got the look! Plus count me in for some elbow length leather gloves :)

Source

I really do love the contrast between the fabrics, the look is so tactile I just want to stroke it!

Source

Add a tailored jacket for when the weather turns and you'll be snug but still chic :)

Source

Using florals and pastel shades creates a soft feminine look. And I like it :)

Source

And there you have it, so many options for this dress it's not even true! Can you tell how ridiculously excited I am about getting started and how much I want to be back home with my sewing machine right now?? I even have the perfect fabric in my stash for this dress but I can't share it with you until I'm home in two weeks! Le sigh. Ah well, for now I'll just have to dream about what I'm going to create, and also probably end up buying all my notions etc. online so I know they'll be waiting for me when I get home...!

Are you thinking about taking this course too? I'd love to know what you're planning to do with your dress if you are :) For now I'll leave you with a couple my pictures from the Louis Vuitton Fall 2010 fashion show, just because I can (and who wouldn't want a plaid skirt with a grey/blue sweater and fur collar or a fabulous all white sweater and skirt outfit, right??)...

Source

Source

Bye for now!

5 comments:

Elise said...

Aah I love those last 2 outfits, think I'd just happily dress like this all the time if possible! :)

Wendy Bayford said...

Wow what a super sew-along, I will have to check this out asap!!
I adore those tiki wrap dresses would love to make one, Oh and those Louis Vittion plaid dresses are to die for Amazing!!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to take the course but am a little too short on funds at the moment. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm sure it'll be fabulous! And thanks for sharing all the pictures. They're really inspirational! :)

Pippin Lane said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful......the fabrics are amazing, think I love the petal bust bodice the best.......I always wanted to look like Catherine Zita Jones in the Darling Buds Of May...super stylish and still is! Lovely post and fab blog too...
Nattie xxx

Katie said...

Faff - I know, I love everything about them, I'm dreaming of ways to recreate them...

Wendy - It's really worth it, it's not just a fun looking course, there's some amazing techniques used, real couture stuff that makes my inner sewing geek very happy indeed :) check out the preview video, you'll see how good it looks!

mala-14 - Thank you so much :) I think Gertie is trying to keep the 50% off deal on her blog for as long as possible so you should be able to buy it at the price any time in the future. For me, I just couldn't resist it, even though it looks like it will end up being a little pricey, what with all the notions, boning etc...

Nattie - Thank you! I'm really glad you like the post and my blog too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...