Tuesday 7 February 2012

DIY Tutorial - A Perfectly Personal Valentine


I know that some people don't like Valentine's Day and how commercial it has become, but personally I have always been a sucker for this holiday, I can't help it! As it's only one week to go until Valentine's Day, I'm going to show you how to make a really personal Valentine for your special someone. Go on, avoid the commercial side of this holiday by giving something handmade and heartfelt to the one you love!

What you will need for this project:


I also used a pencil, pins, an embroidery needle, scissors and pinking shears. This really is such a simple project, so let's get started...


1. Cover your chosen photograph with the tracing paper and trace the main details using a pencil (you can tape the paper down if you wish but I prefer to leave it loose so I can easily view the picture underneath for reference!)

2. Secure some scrap fabric tightly in your embroidery hoop and pin your traced reference on top of it.

3. Using three strands of embroidery floss thread your needle and sew along the lines of your tracing paper reference. I mostly used split stitch, but get creative, there are heaps of different embroidery stitches you can try!

4. Once you have finished your stitchery gentling tear away the tracing paper from behind your design. Go carefully so as not to disturb the stitches!

To finish I pinked the edges of my embroidery in the shape of a heart before sewing it to a larger felt heart with a simple running stitch. I also added a felt pocket on the back of the heart to hold a handwritten Valentine message.


And there you have it, a Perfectly Personal Valentine to be treasured forever! And wouldn't this make a sweet gift outside of Valentine's Day? Maybe using the portrait of a pet or a friend? The possibilities are endless!

I hope you've enjoyed this DIY tutorial, if you have any questions then please get in touch!

Katie xxx

9 comments:

Snippa said...

Really sweet!

natalie.quinton said...

Adorable........xxxxx

Wendy Bayford said...

Oh loooooove this!  How very clever to draw on tracing paper and sew on that I would never have tough of that! I've made a very simple embroidery for my other half's card this year as anything heart related scares him senseless! But I really want to try this as its too cute!

Cassie Stephens said...

Oh, this is just the cutest thing! Thank you so much for sharing this. I will also be checking out the site with all of the embroidery stitches. Happy Valentine's Day!

Elise said...

Awesome idea!  :)

mala_14 said...

So cute! It would also make awesome Christmas tree ornaments.

Lesley said...

That is so cute! What a terrific idea.

Sunjo said...

Ahhh I love it! I need to start in time from my anniversary since I'm running too late for V Day!

angig1970 said...

What a perfect gift. I was thinking that the same thing could apply when thinking of wedding or shower gifts etc. I know I would have loved something like one done for my 25th only with a picture of us when we got married.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...