Saturday 31 March 2012

The New Girl Dress



Project: Blue Dress with piping detail, a la New Girl
Pattern: 1950s Pattern bought at Vintage Vogue
Stash Buster? yes indeed
Items From Stash: the pattern and a few notions
Date Started: March 2012
Date Finished: March 2012
New Techniques Used: decorative piping, use of seam binding
Wear Again? Yes, I'm totally in love with it!


I am so happy that this dress is finished, just in time for a bout of hot weather so I could prance around in the sun :) I feel just like Jess from New Girl when I wear it, I'm sure Zooey Deschanel would approve!


This dress really was a dream to sew together, very simple in it's construction but also very clever, plus unlike a lot of other wrap around dresses it doesn't gape at the back. Don't you just love how full the gathered skirt is?


My favourite part of this dress is definitely the piping, which was a little bit complicated, what with actually having to cover the piping myself and then stitch it by hand to the dress, but I have always loved hand sewing so I really quite enjoyed it. The tutorial I used for this technique was great, I highly recommend it if you want to give it a go yourself!



All in all this was a great success, and I received some lovely comments, one from a complete stranger in a book shop! A brilliant pattern, a brilliant dress and a very happy me :)


What do you think of this new little number? I hope you like it as much as I do!

Katie xxx

16 comments:

Sarah Rooftops said...

I love it! So cheerful!

Sabrina said...

So beautiful! The colour is fantastic, as is the fit and the piping details. I'm always in awe of your lovely and careful construction. I know it takes a LOT of time to get those things right, and your attention to the small details really pays off. Another wonderful project!

Mistress Catgirl said...

That dress is very cute1 It looks great on you.

Marie said...

This is lovely on you and very Jess ;o) Great work on the pipping too!

Cassie Stephens said...

Katie, this is so beautiful! You look stunning, that color is perfect for you. And the piping...amazing! I am so impressed, incredible job!

Sarah Gilbert said...

You look so pretty, Katie! What a beautiful blue dress and I love the piping detail. Well done!

A. Aulisio said...

Beeeeyoutifulllll! I love the trims!

Landgirl1980 said...

What a lovely colour! And the piping..  :)

Elise said...

Ooh I love the piping, looks v unusual.  And your matching headband is fun ;)

Janey Ellis said...

Oh it's just too cute for words!

Jessica Cangiano said...

Such a tremendously sweet, cheerful, wonderfully pretty dress! You look thoroughly wonderful!


Wishing you a beautiful day & month of April,
Jessica

Edithcherry said...

What a beautiful dress, the piping is fantastic! Loving those red shoes too :-)  x

Sufiya said...

Very nice! The overall look is just smashing; I'm not surprised you got compliments from strangers; if I saw you, I'd give you one too!

Wendy Bayford said...

Goodness me! Its utterly adorable and the piping is divine!!!!!!

Georgia Rose said...

Oh. My god. How did I miss this first time around? This dress is utterly divine, and I want one!

Rachel Red Lips said...

yay! happy to see the piping tutoral put to good use. Way to go!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...