Monday 30 January 2012

Sweet as Sugar Shrug


Project: Knitted 1950s Shrug
Pattern: Vintage knit Bolero 1953, from this lovely shop
Stash Buster? oh yes!
Items From Stash: Beach Filo yarn from Linz, Austria
Date Started: July 2011
Date Finished: January 2012
New Techniques Used: crochet edging
Wear Again? Yes, yes, yes!

My first completed project of 2011 and also the first project for my Stash Busting/UFO Project! Whoop whoop! I bought the yarn for this shrug (or bolero, whatever you want to call it!) when I was touring Europe last year. I had lost my favourite old cream shrug, bought years ago from Monsoon, between venues and in my pining stage I desperately wanted a replacement. I had already earmarked the knitting pattern online, so when I past a yarn shop with a sale in Linz it felt like fate! Of course I then found the original shrug , screwed up at the bottom of a pocket in my suitcase and the project fell by the wayside. Over all it has taken me nearly 7 months to complete, crazy for a knitting project this small and simple!

Front View

I restarted this shrug at the end of last year with the Stash Busting Project still forming in my mind, but it really started to come together properly in the last couple of weeks. Despite the amount of time it appeared to take it is a relatively simple pattern and I would recommend it. The highlight of this project is definitely the crochet edging, it was so much fun! Crochet it weirdly addictive, I cannot wait to learn to do it properly. Soon my friends, soon :)

Back View

I have already worn this shrug out on multiple occasions and have received some lovely comments, it's clearly a hit, particularly the shape of the back. The one slight flaw is that I didn't check the colour lots of all my wool (silly, silly mistake!) and you can see the slight difference of shades of yarn in the above picture. However this won't deter me from wearing the shrug, I like it too much :)

The Complete Outfit!

Outfit Details:

Shrug: Made and Stash Busted by me!
Top: Topshop (an ancient buy!)
Skirt: Vintage Exchange, altered by me
Tights: shop in Edinburgh
Boots: Miss L Fire

Happy Stash Busting!

Katie xx

18 comments:

Marie said...

This is such a beautiful shrug/bolero and I love the crochet detail!!! I'm now off to check that Etsy shop out ;o)

Elisalexdcp said...

I am always so blown away and inspired by your knitting projects!! So delicate and beautifully executed, I am going to take a leaf out of your book and start knitting fine...x

Daisieoz said...

Adorable !!

Amanda Adams said...

Good gracious! That bolero is AMAZING! I can't believed you knitted that yourself- truly inspiring!

Snippa said...

Lovely pattern.  The ribbing gives a great fit and you're right about the crochet edging.

Debbydecker said...

I am so thrilled to see your finished bolero. Your whole outfit is just great.

Thanks for the 'shout out' to my ETSY store. Vintage patterns are FUN.

ILUVBUYER10 10% off coupon for your readers.

Thanks, Debby

Sunjo said...

You look really adorable! I love the bolero. It reminds me of one my grandma made me but mine is purple. I need to wear it on my blog soon! Also, I'm crazy about those boots!!! I wish I could find that kind of thing in the U.S.

www.sunjooverthemoon.blogspot.com

Gracie said...

Holy crap that's magnificent!  I love it so much! You're too cute.

xxGracie

Lisa McIntyre said...

Absolutely gorgeous!  And I don't think the colour change is awfully noticeable - at least it's symmetrical as well!  This has almost inspired me to take up knitting... Almost...

mala_14 said...

Very cute! I really like how you've styled it. Congrats on getting your first UFO done this year!

Sofia said...

oh my goodness it's amazing!!!!

Vintagegina said...

This is hands down the prettiest shrug I have ever seen. Please considered making this is other colors too, Black might be good for dressy occasions and pink for spring, brown for fall, blue for your jeans,  red for fun . You get the picture. Awesome Katie! 

Ginger said...

WOW. I need to learn to knit. This shrug is absolutely gorgeous!!! And I love how you've worn it- wonderful skirt and those shoes are incredible too! Well done!

Landgirl1980 said...

Oh!! this is SCRUMMY!!!!!

Wendy Bayford said...

Its gorgeous! I really love the edging its sooo pretty! Congrats on finishing it, and the different shade of wool looks like it was intentional so no one will notice I'm sure! xx

Kelly-Marie said...

So so lovely! It reminds me of a shell. You clever thing. x

Casey said...

Oh! I am in love with this!!! So gorgeous--congratulations on stash busting too! ;) I have to admit, this pattern is getting bookmarked for later... Once I finish the two knitting projects I'm stalled on at the moment. ;)

Elise said...

Wow I love this, the shape and style are gorgeous, must get knitting again! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...