So here we are again with the Hot Pink 1950s style dress! You may remember from my previous post that I had finished all the main reconstruction on this dress, and I was undecided on which details to add. I considered a white belt and buttons and possibly some white piping around the collar. Well I knew that I wanted the white buttons after finding these on etsy:
|Aren't they lovely? :)|
I couldn't say no to them! Well as they are taking their time winging their way to me from America I decided that piping was definitely the way forward for me with this dress. I have always loved piping detail on outfits, and I've wanted to try it myself for a while, so I decided to not only add it to the collar, but also make a bow belt using Tilly's tutorial and also use piping on the edge of the belt. This way I get my piping and a (partially) white belt without feeling like it's over kill!
I made the belt from the several inches of fabric that I had cut off from the hem when I shortened the skirt:
|Cutting out the belt!|
For my piping I used a white on white patterned cotton that I've had for years. There wasn't enough of it to make a whole project, but there's just the right amount for plentiful piping! I used Rachel's continuous bias tape tutorial which worked a treat, I recommend it fully and completely.
|Preparing the cotton to be cut on the bias|
|Bias tape as far as the eye can see|
I then used some thick yarn from a previous knitting project for the piping (as I was rather naughty and too lazy to go out and buy some cord, ah well, the yarn worked just as well!), sewing it into the bias strips using the zipper foot on my sewing machine.
|Here comes the piping!|
|Et voila! Le piping!|
I added this piping around the entire length and width of the belt pieces I had previously cut out and to the longest edges of the bow, after I had pressed the raw edges of the belt pieces under, so that the piping was neatly sandwiched between :)
And here's what the finished product looks like:
|Belt from the front|
|Belt from the back|
I think you'll agree the belt compliments the dress without overpowering it, which I think an entirely white belt would have done. I am now in love with piping and Tilly's belt tutorial (which was brilliant and very easy to use by the way!).
The next part of this project has involved me unpicking the edge of the entire collar in order to insert a second hand made batch of piping. I must be a glutton for punishment, I seem incapable of doing things the easy way! Maybe it's because I can't bear anything to be other than perfect, or maybe it's just because I have no life...
|The back of the collar, piping pinned|
|It's going to look so cute!|
Join me soon for the third and final part of this Vintage Revamp where you will see the finished piping, the addition of some fabulous vintage buttons (if they ever arrive from America, snail mail is taunting me with it's slowness!) and also some shots of me wearing the dress! Hurrah huzzah :)
For now happy Tuesday, and I hope all of you are as happy as the discovery of piping has made me!