Friday 4 November 2011

Three Dresses

Hello there lovely readers, I do hope you're all well! I thought to was about time that I updated you on some of my sewing plans for the rest of this year, it's really not that long until 2012 now, eek!

The end of the year is always a busy celebratory time for everyone, and especially for myself as me, my brother, my Sweetheart and my mum all have Birthdays that fall at the end of the year. Because of this I decided that I would try and make outfits that would work for the special events that happen at the end of the year, and so I have chosen to make three dress: Birthday, Christmas and New Year. I want to make some really special, fancy pieces that make me feel great on these special days and that also involve new techniques that I haven't tried before (after all the construction details are where I have the most fun!)

Now, of course you have seen one of these dresses...

My Birthday Dress!



For more details check out these posts

This dress made me ridiculously happy on my special day, I felt like a princess, so I know that this whole "special dress plan" is gong to be a good one :)

So let me share with you my plans for my other two dresses!

The Christmas Dress

My inspiration for this dress came when I became addicted to watching episodes of Pushing Daisies when working on my last tour. Who cannot fail to be inspired by the beautiful array of costumes that are worn in this show? I am a big admirer of all of the character Chuck's outfits, but when I saw this particular dress I just fell in love.



Isn't it beautiful? I adore the colours used and I love the clean lines on the dress. I decided that this dress is just too perfectly Christmassy not to become my Christmas outfit for this year so I am going to try and recreate it for myself. The only change that I'm going to make is omitting the asymmetrical colouring on the left side, I'm not crazy about it, plus it would take a lot of time to recreate this look, so I'm simply going to create a pinafore dress with the red and green bands of colour around the bottom. I think this will look gorgeous, I cannot wait to get started!


This is the pattern I'm going to use

I have already purchased the materials for this dress, I'm using loving soft flannel lined with cotton for a lovely warm winter dress. Plus I'm going to use a new technique: a horsehair braid hem for the skirt so blogged about by the fabulous Gertie (you have to love her, she's always teaching me new fun things to do with my sewing machine!). Also I may treat myself to one of these Doris Designs petticoats to go under the dress, but we'll see :)


The New Year's Eve Dress

Source

Now this one may be tricky to get done in time, because I really, really, REALLY want to make Gertie's Bombshell dress for New Year's Eve (particularly after seeing some of the beautiful completed versions online!). However I have yet to make any headway on this dress at all, I haven't even printed out the pattern! I have however bought the fabric I want to use already from the amazing Ray Stitch shop on Essex Road, London. It's a cotton print by Sara Morgan and it makes me ridiculously happy!


How pretty is that? *swoon*

I am fully aware that finishing this dress in time for New Year's Eve is going to be a long shot, but I want to give it a go. Yes, so I want to finish making all my Christmas presents plus a dress for Christams and another for New Year and I've also been working on some this for my Palette Challenge, but I don't think I've bitten off more than I can chew, do you?

Ah well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, I'm going to work like crazy to get all these things finished, and I will keep you updated as I go! Are any of you planning festive outfits this year? I would love to hear about them!

Anyways, must dash, I have a lot of work to do!

Bye for now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have chosen the PERFECT fabric for your bombshell dress. That will be divine. Go for it - it's not the end of the world if you don't finish it for NYE. Mine took three months, but that involved a good 2/3 weeks of not touching it and being generally distracted by other stuff. Thanks for linking to me. I love your first dress, no wonder you felt like a princess.

Christina said...

I love Pushing Daisies and its dresses and production design. A screenshot of this particular dress & scene is my winter desktop pc. :) So I'm going to be waiting impatiently for that dress of yours to become real.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...